Tuesday, August 10, 2010

City2Surf - the largest race in the world




City2Surf was, as expected, AH-MAZING! I didn't realise but it's the biggest foot race in the world! Not just little old Aus, but the world!!! This year there was a record 80,000 people who ran the 14kms from Hyde Park to Bondi Beach. You can only imagine what 80,000 people look like all waiting around ready to run. They have a clothing donation for charity as well, so you can wear your warm jumper at the start and just before they fire the gun, you take it off and throw it to the side of the road. I tell ya what, the site of thousands of jumpers and shirts being thrown together was pretty cool. You end up with stuff in trees, on light poles, fences and all sorts of places. Little girl guides come collect them all after the start, although I can only imagine 4 guides on each others shoulders trying to reach the ones at the top of the tree.
 So the race - well the weather was perfect, bit chilly but blue clear skies and the sun was shining. I was feeling pretty tired cause the prostitutes were keeping me awake all night. My friends live in Darlinghurst and their street is prime pimping location. All night I could hear car doors, clip clop of high heels up and down the footpath and arguments with potential clients. Starting the run was just like trying to get out of the full cinema, pushing, shoving it was crazy. The whole course is basically an uphill battle from the start, even before you get to the dreaded "heartbreak hill" there are hills galore. I remembered it from last time though so it wasn't a shock this year. One of the great things about City2Surf is the spectators, people hire bands for their front lawns and bring lounges outside. Some guys even painted their bodies blue and called themselves the smurfs - they deserved my high five as I ran past. Last year I came in at 67min and this year ws 63min, so I was pretty stoked with the improvement. Might've helped that I was in the red group at the front this year.
 We went to the CanToo area after the race and fed up on muffins and snakes and bananas. No beer though :( I love having a beer after a race. After we were done it was amazing to see the bright orange CanToo singlets running through to the finish, heaps and heaps. It's a very big "movement", almost like a cult haha.
 Well it's back to training tomorrow, some more sprints - and of course it will be raining, every Wednesday it rains! I don't think I remember a Wednesday we haven't been wading in puddles around the lake. Maybe tomorrow can be different. Then onto Saturday, another 7am start and bringing the KMs up to 28! Since I did C2S I missed the 26kms so I hope the 28kms goes alright. I just need to keep practising with the energy gels, chomps and water intake cause I still think I struggle there.
 On another note, the trivia night is coming along well - if you want a table you better get a booking in. We have some great prizes that have been donated, the latest one is a 3-month platinum membership from fitness first and 50x 5-day guest passes. And tonight I'm picking up an Endura prize pack from the post office, but I have no idea what is in that yet. A big thanks to Anna Encio and Rob from CanToo for their donations as well :) I just wish I could drink some of the 7 magnums of wine we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment