Thursday, July 29, 2010

Long runs are getting long...



Oops, I've missed a bit hey. Last Saturday was the longest run to date on our training program - 22km! This was only 6 days after doing the Run Melbourne half marathon and Wednesday night training. But I think I was ready, recovered and up for the challenge. I prepared in advance by getting some gels and a water bottle holder for these longer runs.
It was all going well, Steve and I took off on the route down the usual beach way towards Elwood, past Elwood down to Brighton and to the Life Saving club before turning around and heading back, all up 22km. It was a beautiful morning for a run though and a light wind which was something a bit different for the beach this time of year. There was only one issue - by the time I got back to St. Kilda everything went pear shaped. Let me just say this and not go into details. The gel, the orange flavour one - well it didn't agree with me! There was still 5km to run back to home base and there was no way I was going to make it. So the last 5km I drank ALOT of water to rehydrate haha. Not the most pleasant experience in the world, but I guess now I know - stay away from citrus! This weekend I think we're doing 24kms so I'm going to try some Gu Chomps or similar, little lollies filled with carbohydrate goodness. For every hour of running we need to consume 200grams of energy and about 600ml of water. That means 2 packs of Gu Chomps for a 24km run @ $5 a pack! This is becoming an expensive sport.
On Sunday after the run Luke and I went to FootPro to see Simon and get some new shoes. They do an awesome treadmill video analysis of your running style in your current shoe, barefoot and some good shoes so you can see the difference. Very interesting..... I walked out of there $360 later with custom insoles and a new pair of Nikes.
My runkeeper has been playing up lately on the old iPhone, so I read some forums and found out it could be because I had the old software version, so I downloaded the new one and it said "do you want to sync your contacts" - I probably should've said yes and after that all my contacts in my phone were gone :( I was able to recover some from messages I'd sent, but most are gone for good.
FUNDRAISING: Well thanks to everyone for buying all my crap and donating online I achieved my $2,000 target, so now in CanToo terms I'm a *Fundraising Star* - that means nothing to everyone else, but to us it is the highlight of everything, you get the orange shoelaces and the cap and no pressure to fundraise, more focus on training. But having said that, more donations are always welcome :)
TRIVIA: Trivia has been organised as well, for those that don't know Luke and Kate from the half marathon group and me are organising a fundraising trivia night. It's on Friday 3 September @ the Richmond Town Hall Hotel 7.30pm. We have some cool prizes so far and hope to get some more. Movie tickets, bottles of wine, BBQ pack, Magnums of Champ and Wine, Doona and pillows, cutlery set etc. Either way it's going to be a fun night. Although I didn't plan it to well cause the day after we're doing a 32km run!! So there goes the alcohol and late night for me and anyone from my group :(

This weekend we're off on 24kms and then it's City2Surf in Sydney :)

To donate please visit - https://www.cantoo.org.au/sponsorshipform.aspx?PageID=18

No comments:

Post a Comment