Saturday, July 3, 2010

When your bed is empty and cold you go for a run














I think I woke up around 3am freezing my arse off! It was lonely and cold with the sound of the wind outside so I laid in bed trying to get back to sleep with no luck, I was thinking about someone in particular and checking to see what time it was in the USA, maybe they would be on facebook chat? But sadly not :(

It was absolutely freezing when I was getting changed but I think that was just my bedroom, maybe it was the presence of my ghost. I didn't have to use the squedgee to see through my windscreen this morning thank god, so I made it the lake in one piece and was able to drive at more than 40kms per hour. Maybe my car is starting to dry out finally. You see the old Calais leaks a 'bit' of water on the floor and is now starting to sprout grass, I call it the "Rice Paddy".

It wasn't actually that cold this morning, had to leave the gloves in the car for a change. This mornings run was a good 16kms down to the tan, up to Flinders St, across the river and down to Punt Rd bridge return. There was heaps of other CanToo'ers on the same track, it was great! Everytime you run past someone in the CanToo singlet you hear "Go CanToo" - it feels awesome to be part of such a big team and to it's great to give support to the fellow runners who brave the early mornings like me to do the same thing. The run itself was good, I felt good. I had a banana for breakfast which normally makes me a bit acidic in the stomach (over share) and I downed one of those Up & Go VIBE drinks. I think I need to start taking some gels with me though, around 10-12kms I started to feel a big sluggish like I had no energy. Of course I did, but the old body didn't think the same thing. Some of those little PowerBar lollies from woolies would've done nicely or a Gu gel. I love the chocolate ones, no water required, just the chocolate flavour Gu - dee-licious!
I found my old water bottle holder as well, sans water bottle though. This week I need to make it my goal to get a new bottle and next weeks run I need to try and run with it - last time I used it I just remember it bouncing up and down like those little dog things people put on their dashboards. Annoying to say the least!
The fundraising is still going ok, at last count I think I was up to about $1,300, that includes $400 from selling chocolates at work (lots of chocoholics at Treasury and Finance) and about 17 entertainment books sold now as well. Jarvo and Luke are starting CanToo training for the half marathon on Wednesday night and we're going to plan a trivia night for a fundraiser, we might as well host one as the last few that we've entered we have come last in - very brainy lot of friends haha!! I got a book for my birthday though "Organising a trivia night for dummies" so that's my read for tonight.
Well you might be thinking what on earth that pic of the dog has to do with running? I saw him at a cafe in Toorak last weekend, he was asleep with his head on the table for ages, it made me think that is the way I feel after doing a long run - exhausted that I could just go back to bed, oh and the dog was just gorgeous.

Where ever you are in the world, I hope you have a good one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment