Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Run Melbourne Run


Well it's the end of Week 8 and what a week it was! Such a busy week at work with so many things to do, briefs to finalise and all the other 'important' stuff that a public servant does haha. Wednesday's training - hmmmm what can I say - I was going to skip it all together. I was sitting at work and checked the BOM and saw this massive rain front coming across Melbourne, due to hit right when we start our training of course. I got home and was about to drive down the lake when the rain was pelting against my balcony window and it was so windy. I persisted though and drove to training, it took me 30min to get from Toorak to Albert Park, the traffic was hideous. Not many of us braved the weather and poor Nick (the Coach) was still off sick. We had another coach for the night who took us for a good warm-up run and then over to pit straight where we did straights and curves - basically run at 70% to this point, then run 90% to this other point and rest a bit until you get back to the start - do that until you start spewing or you've done it 10 times. It was good until the damn sky clouded over again and it started raining, it was so cold I could feel my nipples sticking through my shirt, chafing away as I ran - ouch! 
On Friday I had my first appointment for a root canal, let's just say that I hate dentists and leave it at that. Saturday I had a bit of a sleep in, no training for me on Saturday so I'd booked my flatmate V and I to go kayaking and abseiling for the day. It was a great day, I learnt that my flatmate is no good at steering a kayak and gets a bit confused with left and right haha. But we made it down the yarra rapids in one piece, saturated and cold. Abseiling was fun as well but damn cold, my shirt was a bit damp and I forgot my jacket, getting in the car and putting the heater on was the best thing about it.
Cut to Sunday 5.15am and my alarm is going off to get up for the Run Melbourne half marathon. I met the Can Too guys at 6.30 and we did a quick warm up and then went up to the start line. Annie Crawford, the founder of Can Too was there doing it with us, it was great. From my group there was 2 of us plus our 2 mentors Kate and Nicole. I ran with Kate the whole way and it was a pretty cool course, especially along the yarra and around fawkner park. Luckily the rain held off and it was pretty sunny all day. We finished in 1:48:08 which was pretty good, my sore foot didn't get any worse thankfully (although it is today). Can Too has a great spread of food and champagne afterwards, makes me want to look forward to our race in October - although thinking about doing that track again is a tad daunting and very very scary!!! 42km is so far when you've just done 21km - I know why it is all mental thoughts to get you through to the end.

FUNDRAISING: Well it looks like I've hit my target, well I will very soon. I'm just waiting for a cheque to come in from Entertainment Books and I will be over the line. A total of $2,000 so far!! A big thanks to those who have donated, bought the chocolates, entertainment books and handbag hangers and to work for the money we raised at the morning tea - it doesn't mean I have to stop here though - if you would still like to donate please use the link and search for my name. Maybe together we can raise the target to $3,000?

No comments:

Post a Comment