Friday, May 28, 2010

26 May - First Training Session



I was a bit nervous turning up, not knowing what to expect, how many people there would be, and I really hate that feeling. I'm the sort of person who doesn't like feeling out place and not knowing what is happening.


First day training and the meet and greet was at 6.30pm near the rowing club on Albert Park lake. It was dark and I couldn't see anyone near the rowing shed. Crap! Finally I saw a girl walk from inside and she pointed me in the right direction. It was a smallish group, all filling in health questionnaires and introducing each other. The CanToo founder Annie Crawford was down from Sydney to meet us and our trainer Nick with a few other staff and support were there, buggared if I can remember their names yet though.

It's all pretty well organised, we got a little show bag with a training singlet and some wrist band sunscreen - very novel! Virginia (my flatmate) has taken one to her work to see if they can use it for their marketing as well. After our introductions and some chit chat we headed down for the first session. A slow jog round to the Carousel then 3x1km intervals with a 400m rest in between each one. It was an awesome night for a run, the view around the lake towards the city with a clear night sky is amazing! There were quite a few CanToo groups running, I think the other groups were training for the Run Melbourne in a few months time.

One thing I really enjoyed was the team atmosphere, everyone was supportive and cheering each other on and was felt like a really great group to be part of. I'm really sure the next 20-weeks is going to be alot of fun. Now I need to practice my 'planks', core strength is important!

No comments:

Post a Comment